Cancer Risk Management
Containing the Costs of Cancer Care
When factoring in all of the costs of cancer care – doctor visits, exams, labs, surgical treatments, medications and more – it’s easy to see how quickly the expenses for medical coverage can add up. It’s no wonder that cancer treatment is one of the highest costs associated with health plans. Despite this, the majority of benefit plans don’t include any documentation to address cancer cases or the complexities that may come with them.
Cypress utilizes the CancerCARE program to help employers put this critical plan language in place and contain the rising costs of treatment. The program follows a triage approach that directs newly diagnosed members to the appropriate treatment path during the critical decision making window.
Studies show that some of the excessive costs of cancer care can be avoided by preventing problems like inaccurate diagnosis/staging and ineffective treatments. Early intervention through CancerCARE can mean the difference between a high-risk, high-cost treatment route and a safer, more results-oriented alternative. Employers who have used CancerCARE have saved an average of 20-25% and reduced hospital stays by up to 35%.
- Plan language and treatment recommendations that follow evidence-based National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Guidelines for cancer care
- Assistance in coordinating a second opinion or further diagnostic testing
- Clinical management through a care coordinator for all aspects of cancer treatment
- Comprehensive review of treatment plan by experienced care staff
- Advanced case management for high-risk members with more complex care needs
- Clinical trial monitoring (including ACA compliance) and access as appropriate
- Travel benefits based on situation and distance to nearest Cancer Center of Excellence